From time to time, you may receive a notice from the IRS or state agency you process payroll in. The notice may be for informational purposes or to asses a fee for late or inaccurate payment/filing. In order for Green Leaf to assist in resolving the issue, we will need a copy of the COMPLETE tax notice your business received. Instructions to submit the notice are below but before submitting please verify the following information:
- Is this notice related to payroll:
- If yes, proceed.
- If no, please work with your CPA. Green Leaf will only work on payroll-related notices.
- Is the time frame of the notice within the processed first check date your entity started with Green Leaf.
- For example, your company started processing payroll with a different provider and didn't start with Green Leaf until the 7/3 check date. If the notice is dated for Quarter 1, Green Leaf would not be able to help, but if the notice is anything in Quarter 3 or later, we can assist. The government will look for liability based on check date, not pay period.
- Quarter 1 Check Dates: 1/1 through 3/31
- Quarter 2 Check Dates: 4/1 through 6/30
- Quarter 3 Check Dates: 7/1 through 9/30
- Quarter 4 Check Dates: 10/1 through 12/31
Once the ticket is received, the tax department will investigate the notice and upon resolution, the tax department will reach out with details surrounding the notice and any action taken. Please allow up to 2-6 weeks for a full resolution, depending on the agency involved and the complexity of the situation.
IRS Address Change
When referencing Legal Address, we typically are referring to the address the IRS has on file for the business. Due to the IRS requirements, all correspondents to the IRS for payment and returns MUST match exactly as the government has the data on ...
Quarter & Year End Guide
To prepare for Quarter-End/Year-End, you must be sure to verify information in the system to avoid any errors, such as "fake" or "place-holder" social security numbers, outdated delivery addresses, missing tax IDs, and missing wages to reflect in the ...
Quarter End Packages
To locate Quarter End Documents such as 941s, 940s, and State-related documents, navigate to the Hamburger Menu > Team Icon > Payroll > Reports > Taxes > Tax Documents. Once in the Tax Documents section, a list of packages will appear as seen ...
State Tax ID Application Process
When hiring new employees in states you don't currently have employees working in, you must first obtain a Payroll State Tax ID in order to properly tax the employee as well as pay Employer Taxes to the correct agency. If you'd like to apply for your ...
How to Mass Process Withholding Forms
Processing Withholding Forms The guide below will go through all steps required to process withholding forms. This step is important to ensure employees’ tax withholding elections are updated and withheld accordingly. STEP 1: Click on the Home tab ...